The 34th Council of British International Schools (COBIS) Conference will take place in London on 9-11 May 2015. The theme is ‘Measuring Success: Wellbeing, Resilience, Education and Leadership in British Schools Overseas’ and keynote speakers will include Professor Guy Claxton, Baroness Sue Campbell CBE and Ben Walden. Offering a mix of speakers, seminars and workshops, the programme will include opportunities for discussion, reflection, networking and sharing best practice.
The COBIS annual conference is aimed at principals, heads, governors and senior managers from British international schools, as well as those who are interested in learning about the international schools sector. Exhibitors, inspectorates and representatives from overseas and UK ministries of education will also be in attendance.
As a global association offering professional development and representing members with government bodies worldwide, COBIS represents more than 200 British schools in 65 different countries. These schools educate more than 100,000 students and employ more than 12,000 teachers across Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas. Its annual conference brings together many of those who have been leading the growth in British education overseas. In total, there are now some 3,500 British-curriculum schools outside the UK and that number is continue to increase each year.
As well as its programme of speakers and seminars, the conference provides networking opportunities through additional activities such as a welcome dinner at London Zoo on Saturday 9 May, an exhibitor drinks reception on Sunday 10 May and the COBIS annual reception and dinner on Monday 11 May. Courses running alongside the event include those in safer recruitment for international schools and advanced child protection.
Themes to be addressed at this year’s conference include:
• Mindfulness and wellbeing for the whole school community – students, staff, leaders, parents
• Defining and measuring success in schools – beyond examinations and formal assessments
• Developing a holistic approach to education and leadership in British schools overseas
• Growth and resilience of the British schools overseas market
Seminar topics at the COBIS annual conference include:
• Measuring the impact of leadership
• Fostering resilience in your teaching workforce
• Pupil voice and student leadership
• Mindfulness in schools
• International school governance
• Resilient classroom cultures
• Establishing new schools
• Feedback and data
• Maximising the effectiveness of teaching assistants
• Professor Guy Claxton, world-renowned authority on the development of intellectual character, author and academic
• Baroness Sue Campbell CBE, chair of Youth Sport Trust, former chief executive of the National Coaching Foundation and former chair of UK Sport
• Ben Walden, founder and artistic director of Contender Charlie, a group bringing theatre techniques into education
• Dominic Peckham, critically acclaimed conductor, presenter and choral ambassador
More information about the conference and how to book a place can be found on the COBIS website.
34th COBIS Annual Conference 2015: Park Plaza Hotel, Victoria, London, 9-11 May 2015