Whether you’re treating your pupils, your school staff or your friends and family over the Christmas period, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 ½kg red cabbage
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled and cored and chopped
- Zest 1 orange or 2 clementines
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 300ml dry cider
- 25g butter
- Peel off the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard. Quarter the cabbage, removing the tough stem, then thinly slice.
- Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of a large saucepan, followed by some of the onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and seasoning. Continue to create layers until you have used up the ingredients.
- Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top.
- Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on over low heat for 1½ hrs, until tender.
- The cabbage will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in either a pan or in the microwave.
Many of the team at allmanhall come from a school foodservice background and have been catering managers or chefs previously. This enables them to be hands-on in their advice and recommendations, and to provide practical ideas for school catering teams, really understanding your day-to-day challenges.
Combined with expert buyers and award-winning client services team liaising with suppliers on your behalf, allmanhall enable the best food and the best cost savings, with the best support.