The book is the official reference source of independent schools in Associations represented by the Independent Schools Council (ISC). Only schools whose heads are members of one of the following ISC Heads’ Associations are included:
- HMC – Headmasters’ & Headmistresses’ Conference
- GSA – Girls’ Schools Association
- The Society of Heads
- IAPS – Independent Association of Prep Schools
- ISA – Independent Schools Association
- COBIS – Council of British International Schools
Published and updated annually since 1889, the ‘Blue Book’ includes more than 1,400 school profiles, with information including: contact details, location, facilities, numbers, admission fees, scholarships and bursaries, staff, curriculum, sports/games, arts, extra-curricular activities, community service, recent/planned developments, news and events.
The book is published in paperback by Bloomsbury, and costs £50.